Packages get built and installed inside the chroot just fine. I had never used the mock shell before, I tried it now and I got these messages:
sh: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
sh: no job control in this shell
which seem informative and harmless and in any case, I didn't notice any problems while using it.
I have not tried building live media with this version, but I had created a live ISO with 1.4.3-1, so I'm guessing that if there is a problem as reported by Neal, it was introduced with the last version.
After installing the update, my system log gets flooded with these two messages:
Jul 06 19:03:19 fwupd: report 0x02 unknown length Jul 06 19:03:19 fwupd: report 0x20 unknown length
I have no idea what it is looking for. Anyway, here is the list of devices reported by fwupdmgr:
# fwupdmgr --verbose get-devices Guid: b8323c4e-dd17-57b2-b466-26ec919e3a33 DeviceID: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0005/0003:046D:101A.0006/hidraw/hidraw3 DisplayName: Performance MX Plugin: unifying Flags: allow-online DeviceVendor: Logitech DeviceVendorId: USB:0x046D Created: 2017-07-06 Guid: 77d843f7-682c-57e8-8e29-584f5b4f52a1 Guid: 9d131a0c-a606-580f-8eda-80587250b8d6 DeviceID: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb3/3-2 DisplayName: Unifying Receiver Plugin: unifying Flags: allow-online DeviceVendor: Logitech DeviceVendorId: USB:0x046D Version: RQR12.01_B0019 VersionBootloader: BOT01.01_B0013 Created: 2017-07-06 Guid: 846aa834-8730-5934-88e7-9fc62e25cbda Guid: eed46b79-a04c-55d7-91ea-f1e6ee03f85a DeviceID: usb:00:03 DisplayName: USB2.0 UVC 1.3M Webcam Plugin: usb Flags: none DeviceVendorId: USB:0x05C8 Version: 1.5 Created: 2017-07-06 Guid: b22b5f66-fd13-502e-a90e-b39cb3157842 DeviceID: ro__sys_devices_pci0000_00_0000_00_02_0_0000_01_00_0 DisplayName: G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] Plugin: udev Flags: internal DeviceVendor: NVIDIA Corporation DeviceVendorId: PCI:0x10DE Created: 2017-07-06`
In GNOME on X, everything is fine. However, on another system, running MATE, I lost all the letters from the system menus and applets. Program menus only displayed the letters that correspond to an Alt+key shortcut (e.g. the F from "Files"). Or another example, the hardware sensors applet displayed only the degree sign (°) next to each icon instead of e.g. 36°C. Reverting back to the previous version fixed the issue.
I updated from -21 to -22 and I had already removed and recreated the database after the update to -21. As soon as the update got installed, the dnf tracer plugin crashed:
Tracer: Program 'tracer' crashed with following error:
b'error: db5 error(5) from dbenv->open: Input/output error\nerror: cannot open Packages index using db5 - Input/output error (5)\nerror: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm\nTraceback (most recent call last):\n File "/usr/bin/tracer", line 34, in <module>\n tracer.main.run()\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/main.py", line 45, in run\n return router.dispatch()\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/resources/router.py", line 52, in dispatch\n controller = DefaultController(self.args, self.packages)\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/controllers/default.py", line 62, in init\n self.applications = self.tracer.trace_affected(self._user(args.user))\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/resources/tracer.py", line 96, in trace_affected\n for file in self._PACKAGE_MANAGER.package_files(package.name):\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/resources/PackageManager.py", line 55, in package_files\n return self.package_managers.package_files(pkg_name)\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/packageManagers/dnf.py", line 34, in package_files\n if self._is_installed(pkg_name):\n File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tracer/packageManagers/rpm.py", line 151, in _is_installed\n mi = ts.dbMatch(\'name\', pkg_name)\n_rpm.error: rpmdb open failed\n' Please visit https://github.com/FrostyX/tracer/issues and submit the issue. Thank you
Then I tried to check for updates and got another (similar) error:
error: db5 error(5) from dbenv->open: Input/output error error: cannot open Packages index using db5 - Input/output error (5) error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm Error: Error: rpmdb open failed
I removed and recreated the database once more and everything seems to be working now, but I think this will still be a problem for system upgrades, so I'm giving it negative karma.
Problem solved, but I think both #1435831 and the new config should have been dealt with differently. An announcement on devel was certainly warranted and for the rest of our users it would have been even better if there was an announcement somewhere visible, like fedora magazine. When the old configurations start failing, I don't expect there will be many people searching for README.systemd (which is very useful with the examples and all) in /usr/share/doc.